An interview with Kate Richards, award-winning author and medical researcher who trained as a doctor. As a student and trainee doctor, Kate experienced serious mental health issues, involving many hospital admissions and significant encounters with the health system while simultaneously training to provide that care to others. She talks about challenges for students and young trainee doctors, particularly those facing a health or mental health issue. From the patient perspective, she speaks of the vulnerabilities, power imbalance and serious obstacles that patients can face in their effort to access good, safe and humane health care. She also compares her profession as a writer with that of a doctor.
- Managing Gender Dysphoria/Incongruence in Young People: A Guide for Health Practitioners
- ‘Devastating’ cuts to Medicare telehealth leave rural psychiatric patients in the lurch
- Government Changes to MBS Specialists Telehealth
- Victorian information sharing Bill a threat to privacy
- Cross-Sex Hormone Treatment for Young People Under 18: The Legal Restrictions